Search This Blog

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Veggies By George Weekly Challenge #5

Say hello to Jack at Veggies By George!
Okay - I got my basket, but I'm not sure what I was supposed to use, so I've created recipes this week using greens and radishes.

Radically Roasted Radishes - pics to follow

I am generally not a raving fan of radishes, but after trying a dish featuring what appeared to be poached radishes at the Athlone Inn here in Gananoque, I thought I'd try roasting them.  The result was a starchy, slightly peppery and sweet (almost caramelized) treat that my hubby mistook for potatoes!

Ingredients:
4 extra large radishes, washed and sliced into eighths
1/8 C grapeseed oil
1tsp umeboshi (or apple cider) vinegar
1/2 tsp each ground sea salt AND pepper
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
2 cloves garlic, pressed

Preheat oven to 400 F.  Arrange radish wedges in a baking dish (I used a pie plate).  Mix remaining ingredients together, pour over radishes and toss to coat.  Roast for 30-45 minutes or until radishes are slightly golden and have lost their crunch.  Enjoy!

Coconut Braised Greens

1 bunch swiss chard, washed and chopped with stems and leaves separated
1 bunch kale, washed and chopped with stems and leaves separated
1 bunch bok choy, washed and chopped with stems and leaves separated
1 tbsp oil of choice, I used peanut
1 onion, chopped
1 C coconut milk
Juice of 1 small lime
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add chopped stems and cook for 2 minutes.  Add chopped leaves and boil 3 minutes more.  Strain and set aside.  In same pot, heat oil over medium flame and add onion.  Saute until translucent.  Add greens to pot with coconut oil and lime juice and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.






No comments:

Post a Comment