Search This Blog

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Blue "Sheese" Pinwheel Biscuits


Oh, yum. When I was a little girl, my favorite dish was my mom's chicken pot pie. It wasn't so much the stew as it was the biscuit topping that made me crave this comfort food. She always topped her chicken stew with biscuit pinwheels stuffed with melty extra-old cheddar cheese.

Now that I am vegan, those who know me well will tell you that the dairy product I miss the most is the gorgeous flavour of blue cheese. After finding blue "sheese" at Tara Natural Foods in Kingston, I decided to re-create these little gems using my new discovery.

The result is flaky, soft-textured and mildly blue-cheesy biscuits to be enjoyed with your favorite vegan soup or casserole - we're having minestrone.

Ingredients:
2C all-purpose flour
3t baking powder
3/4t sea salt
1T nutritional yeast flakes
1/3C earth balance margarine, cold
3/4C soy milk, plus a little extra for brushing
1/2 container Blue Sheese (or other vegan cheese), divided

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 F. In a food processor (large bowl), add dry ingredients. Pulse a few times. Add margarine and pulse until crumbly. Add 1/2 the cheese and pulse again. With processor on low, slowly add soymilk. Process until dough forms a ball.
Turn dough onto rolling surface and roll out to 1/2" thick. Sprinkle with leftover chees and roll up. slice into 1/2 - 3/4" rounds. Place on baking stone and brush with a little soymilk. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Biscuits should be golden. Makes 12-15 biscuits.


No comments:

Post a Comment